Brierley Hill A.O.G. 0 – 3 Wednesbury Baptist

7th March

Todays wet and windy weather has given me the time to get in a match report following yesterdays crucial win in our hopes of being crowned Division 2 Champions, having not played for 3 weeks due to Pye Green leaving the WMCFL we were focused on getting started from the off and hopefully not being off the pace due to our absence from competitive football.

The Hill were fairly unrecognisable from the team we played in the reverse fixture and this meant we knew we had a job to do and not be complacent given that we beat them 7-0 in that fixture – fair to say they have bought in some good players and i can see them improving on their current league standing.

The game began with a bright side from both sides with the ball being contested mainly in the middle of the park – we survived a scare early on when a cross come shot from The Hill winger got caught up in the wind and ended up hitting our crossbar – in typical football fashion this then lead to us countering and Craig played a defence splitting pass to Fidell who used his strength to hold off the full back and continue his run into the box and dispatch calmly into the bottom right corner 1-0. The Hill were restricted to speculative efforts and never really tested our keeper from this moment on thanks to solid performances from Gregg Nick (two usual midfielders playing out of position at the back) Si and Matty, it was then from one of Carls goal kicks that Fidell scored an incredible solo goal where he bought the ball down on his and tricked his way past 3/4 players has be ran from left flank to right before cheekily chipping the ball over the onrushing keeper, 2-0. The first half ended with nothing else really of note apart from us hitting the post which kept the scoreline at a respectable 2-0 which The Hill captain repeatedly mentioned to his players in an effort to spur them on.

The Hill come out fighting in the second half and once again had a few attempts from distance, one of which nearly caught our keeper off guard, the game continued to be a physical battle in midfield which Jack and Ian dealt with incredibly given the difference in stature and condition of the pitch. Just before the hour mark Pete swung in a dangerous corner kick which Karl rose to head into the net, the return of Martin ‘Tino’ Woodhall was the next key note of the game coming on for Craig who once again had put in a shift and continued his unselfish nature in front of goal – not many strikers i reckon can boast having double figures in goals scored on top of assisting around 30 goals this season – Tino proved to a great outlet along with Fidell on the opposite wing as they provided options and caused trouble for The Hill’s two full backs. Fidell was then denied what would have been his hat trick when the flag was raised for a very tight offside, with game coming to an end Jase was bought on and nearly made an instant impact when he met Tino’s cross with a powerful volley that the keeper saved with his nether regions – talk about taking one for the team.

Full time 3-0. A massive result and 3 points against tricky opposition and now we aim to secure that title clinching point over our next two games. All the best to The Hill in their remaining league games and as ever a thank you to all of our match officials

Comments are closed.