Charlemont Star 2 Sheldon Community Church 1

1st November


This morning we entertained Sheldon at Hydes Road knowing that we needed to start turning decent performances into 3 points.

The match started with both teams probing but with no real goal scoring opportunities, until on 7 minutes a defence splitting through ball from Lewis Cox found Jamie Holder who calmly rounded the Sheldon keeper to slot home, 1-0. Sheldon were constantly a threat from set pieces albeit we endeavoured with our now renowned defensive “comedy of errors” to create a Sheldon opportunity with our keeper Allan Wilde inexplicably throwing a ball directly to a Sheldon forward who fortunately for us didn’t make the most of the error. Our main goal scoring threat, Jamie Holder, if given the right ball could have put us two up but a great stop at his near post by the keeper kept it going into the break at 1-0.

HT: 1-0

The second half started with the words keep it tight for the first 15 minutes and don’t give any silly chances away. Gary Lunt was replaced on 56 minutes by Danny Wood for a straight swap on the left side of midfield. Sheldon had upped the tempo pressing for an equaliser and on 62 minutes a clearance from a corner fell to the Sheldon player who hit a left footed unstoppable shot into the top corner, he couldn’t have hit it sweeter to be honest giving our keeper no chance, 1-1 game on!

We managed to withstand the onslaught and created a number of chances, with Tom Collins and Richard Jones failing to test the keeper, with both shooting directly at the keeper, with Jamie Holder forcing another near post safe from the Sheldon keeper. On 74 and 78 minutes James Wood replaced Stuart Smith and Aidan Hackwood replaced the injured Haydn Ellis respectively. Both teams were looking for the match winner at this point.

The winning goal on 86 minutes fell to the unpredictable Jamie Holder who saw the keeper stranded in no-man’s land and calmly chipped the ball into an empty net from 25 yards out, 2-1.

FT: 2-1

We held on to claim all 3 points.

Thanks to the referee, Joe Rowley and his two assistants who kept the game flowing.

Next weekend we travel to play City Church in second round of the cup.

Comments are closed.