Charlemont Star 3 Renewal Solihull 1

By Andy Wilcoxson

We continued our winning ways today with a 3-1 win over Renewal Solihull.

The game was in its infancy, when on 4 minutes we were awarded a penalty after the Renewal player handballed a shot from Danny Holland, the referee did not hesitate and immediately awarded a spot kick, up stepped our penalty taker Jamie Holder who struck his penalty, high and to the left of the keeper firmly into the net, 1-0. Renewal kept us on our toes and were always a threat going forward, they created a couple of very good opportunities to equalise but couldn’t take their chances.

On 28 minutes Brad Tiernan from his left back position passed a ball down the touchline to Stu Smith who burst into to the penalty and hit a fierce low ball across the penalty area resulting in the Renewal defender scoring an own goal, 2-0. Renewal did create a couple of opportunities before the half time break with our keeper Allan Wilde saving a shot low down to his right hand side, just before the half time whistle. A goal at this time may well have changed the course of the game in Renewal’s favour but we fortunately kept the two goal advantage going into the break.

HT: 2-0

The second half continued in a similar fashion to the first half with both teams creating chances, Renewal were always a threat and we knew the next goal was going to be crucial in deciding who would go on and win the game. On 59 minutes Tom Slater replaced the feeling under the weather Danny Wood, shuffling the pack with Tom going into Midfield, Stu Smith moving to the right side and James Grinsted going up front. Within 6 minutes we scored our third of the game with Danny Holland hitting the post after a great run, with the ball falling to James Grinsted, 65 minutes, who scored from close range, 3-0.

It was time to make another change, on 73 minutes, with Aidan Hackwood replacing left back Brad Tiernan. We created a few good chances to extend our lead further with Tom Slater hitting a post from 30 yards, and on 77 minutes we were awarded our second penalty of the game after James Grinsted was tripped in the box. Stu Smith stepped up on this occasion, only to see his poorly directed penalty saved by the keeper. Our final substitution on 79 minutes saw Jake Henson replace the ever tenacious Lewis Cox in midfield who had put a shift in today. Renewal continued to press and on 85 minutes scrambled a goal over the line from a corner, 3-1.

Good luck to Renewal for their remaining matches, thanks to referee Craig Taylor and his two assistants, and finally to Josh Chell for his Star man of match performance. Next weekend we travel to Rockmount United.

Comments are closed.