Chawn Hill Church 3 – 4 Wednesbury Baptist

Saturday started as one of those days, where from the moment I woke up to see the rain pouring down, that you just knew nothing would go to plan. How correct I was!! Firstly what google maps said would be a 25-30 min drive for me took the best part of an hour and also i was fielding calls from most of the team asking how to get there (Safe to say that this was the first time any of our team had played here). After a call to local lad Chrissy T we finally found the entrance to the car park after his fantastic directions and rushed to the changing rooms to get ourselves prepared.

Due to the time taken finding the place the match started without us starting with our usual warm up and just like the weather we started the first half cold, and boy did we pay for this. With only 5 minutes gone Chawn scored with a bullet header from an inch perfect cross 1-0. Chawn gained momentum from this and continued to press as we failed to make the ball stick and in all honesty struggled to even string a few passes together. Chawn capitalised on this and extended their lead to 2-0 with a well taken finish from their number 9. We started to get a foothold as the half was drawing out and a lovely reverse pass from Fidell set Craig through to reduce the deficit with a well placed right foot shot into the top corner 2-1 and the game finally come alive with us starting to play some fantastic football which left Chawn at times chasing shadows. All credit to them though they did not let their heads drop and right on the stroke of half a long ball forward dropped kindly to their winger who cut it back to their onrushing player who finished nicely into the bottom corner. Half Time 3-1.

Second half started pretty much has the first had finished (just without Chawn scoring a goal) we continued to play some free flowing football and within a few minutes of the restart Pete found himself with the ball at his feet and only the keeper to beat 3-2 and once again game on. Within 5 minutes of us reducing the deficit once again to one goal we found ourselves back on level terms after some lovely play by Fidell found Craig who finished for his second of the game 3-3. Fidell then once again caused the Chawn Hill defence problems this time resulting in him winning a penalty – Nick stepped up but was thwarted by a fantastic full stretch save from their keeper who had been superb all game. We continued to ask questions of the Chawn defence and we finally got our reward when after some lovely trickery from Tino we won a corner which Chrissy T nodded in for us to take the lead for the first time in the game. With the game drawing out Fidell who deserved a goal had one chalked off for offside which we thought was not the case (but as always we accept the officials decisions). We thought this might come back to haunt us as on the cusp of the final whistle the ref awarded Chawn a penalty for a bit of pushing and shoving in the area as both attack and defence jostled (One of those that if you give a penalty for it you would be giving penalties every 5 mins but once again we accepted the decision that was made) fortunately for us keeper Carl made a fantastic save to tip the penalty kick over the bar after it looked set on nestling in the top corner.

We managed one more attack before the end of the game but once again Fidell was unlucky was his effort hit the post and went out for a goal kick. Full Time 3-4. The old cliche ‘Game of two halves’ could not have been more fitting.

Full time 3-4 and I give enormous credit to the lads for their fighting spirit and determination to turn the game around and come away with 3 points when at half time it looked as though it would be nothing.

Comments are closed.