City Church 3 – 1 Charlemont Star

After a confidence boosting win (AET) in the cup last week, the City Church players returned to Rowheath, and a freshly-mown pitch, for the arrival of Charlemont Star. Last season, the two teams enjoyed some very tightly contested games, with expansive football played by both sides. The first of the 2015-16 fixtures didn’t disappoint.

The first half saw both teams looking to spread the ball wide, with Jamie Holder looking to pose a consistent threat with his long-range passing ability. Having missed last weeks’ cup game, Luke Maggs returned from his travels and made a big impact for CCFC up and down the right flank. He’ll be disappointed not to have bagged himself a goal, or two, in the first half but some last ditch defending and impressive goal-keeping kept things level. However it was Maggs’ drilled cross that found the head of Obiakor, who nodded in from close range. Charlemont looked dangerous on the break and the CCFC defenders could only breathe a sigh of relief as the ball whistled past the post at the end of a flowing move. 1-0 to CCFC at the break.

Second half, the momentum of the game swung back towards Charlemont. After a quickly taken throw in, near the corner flag, and early cross into the box, the ball ricocheted to Jamie Holder on the edge of the box. Taking a touch past the City defender, he found the top left corner with a very well executed half-volley. Dan Thompson, who had had a quiet morning in goal otherwise, was unable to get near it, and Charlemont were very much back in the game. Having lost the rhythm of passing and movement that they had showed in the first half, City slowly began to regain their stride as the half progressed. After another very good performance by Dan Green, he was replaced by Nick Graham with 25 minutes left to play. Graham made the manager’s day, by breaking through the Charlemont defence and slotting the ball past the oncoming keeper. Renowned more for his work rate, than his goals, the team were delighted to see Graham add his name to the scoresheet.

Charlemont continued to play with a high tempo, looking to ask questions of the City defenders. City dealt with a period of attacking pressure well, including a free kick conceded just outside the box. However with the game becoming slightly more stretched in the final ten minutes, Enayat, using his pace, broke down the wing and smartly squared the ball to Maggs who slotted home to make it 3-1.

A good game, played with a great attitude and we look forward to another enjoyable fixture later in the season.

Comments are closed.