Connect Sports 2-6 St Mary’s

Match report from our goalkeeper Phil Lutwyche:

We went into the game missing a number of players including top scorer Wiedeman and player/manager Myatt, but it turns out Connect were also missing a similar number so I think we both came in worrying the other may turn up at full strength. It was Tom Locke’s first game in caretaker charge and what a first game:

Both teams started off at full pace with neither side really creating anything. This all changed when a silly free kick was given away in a dangerous position, Connect capitalised from a mix up and it somehow ended up in the net off the centre forwards back! 1-0.

This just spurred us on and we picked up our game chasing everything and playing really good 1 and 2 touch football. Rudd on the right wing had a very impressive game taking the ball to the by line numerous times. Likewise on the left with Coleman, who was eventually wrestled down in the penalty area to give us the chance to get straight back in to the match. Harris tucked the penalty away comfortably. 1-1.

Both teams then created a number of chances, from which Connect may feel they should have scored but for a good save from Phil after a offside claim. Then Coleman again took the ball in from the wing to squeeze in a second giving us the advantage. 1-2

We saw this out to half time and we all knew we had to keep this pressure up and chase everything if we were to go on and win the game.

Connect then changed things in the second half making 3 substitutions, putting 3 up top, and causing problems with their movement and ability to run with the ball so well. But following a great tackle from Green, and a quick break with good passing we earned ourselves a corner from which ‘Tink’ Beeson rose best from 6 yards to nod past the keeper. 1-3.

This period was when the match was settled, Connect seemed to have dropped their heads and it got worse as they were reduced to 10 men following a red card for foul and abusive. Harris scored an absolute stunner from well outside the box which bent itself in to the top left corner and things got worse for Connect as an injury meant they had 9 men having used all three substitutes with their bold half time change. 1-4.

We added a 5th through Coleman showing again his strength to ride through challenges and run at defenders. Sheward got our 6th through a great team move down the left and showing great composure to slot it in.

Connect did manage to grab a late consolation in the last seconds but our passion and grit for the game prevailed making it a comfortable win.

Comments are closed.