Halesowen Zion 2-3 Wolverhampton and Perton Churches

February 14th

With the teams fairly evenly matched with regards to league standings, this game had all the ingredients to be a brilliant cup tie. It didn’t disappoint. Zion started the game much brighter than us creating far more chances in the opening 15 or so minutes. We had a couple of chances and one shot superbly saved by Zions keeper. Zion enjoyed most of the possession with us struggling to close them down and move them back towards their own goal, Zions persistence was rewarded when they took the lead after about 30 minutes through (goal scorer). Zion did have the ball in the net for a second time although it was ruled out for a foul on our defender. Zion carried on causing a threat and we were struggling to deal with their movement in midfield and an injury to Ste (our top scorer) during the first half didn’t help. The game stayed 1-0 until half time.
The interval gave us time to regroup and analyse the first half and we agreed that when we get the ball down and play we believe we are good enough to match anyone.
This proved to be the case as we started the second half much quicker than the first and equalised more or less straight after half time with a good finish from Dean (returning from a long injury lay off).1-1. This goal seemed to give us a massive amount of confidence and within a couple of minutes the turnaround was complete and we took a well deserved 2 -1 lead after some great passing from midfield, the ball out wide found Cliff who’s pin point cross landed straight on the head of Ryan who headed into the top corner.2-1. We knew we would have to defend well throughout the game to get through this cup tie. We carried on passing it well and it was basically a reverse of the first half with us enjoying most of the possession. Although some sloppy work by use and not closing down, just like the first half resulted in (goal scorer) being allowed to shoot from 25 yards into the top corner. The game was now even poised and time was running out. Chances were created from by sides and albeit from a great couple of saves from Adam in goal, Zion would of taken the lead. We were still pressing and in search for that winner, neither side wanted extra time, with about 10 minutes we were awarded a corner, it was whipped in with pace and was met by the head of Walker – who by his own omission says he cannot head the ball for toffee, producing a powerful header into the net giving the keeper no chance at all. We then knew Zion were going to come at us, we defended very well until the end of the game even forcing a couple of chances with pace on the counter attack. In the end we comfortably saw it out for the win, it was a great game to be involved in, played in the right spirit and both teams going for the win and competing for every ball. This has been a great start to 2015 and we are currently unbeaten this year hoping to extend this against Chawn at the weekend.

Comments are closed.