Rockmount United 1 Charlemont Star 4

Match Report
By Andy Wilcoxson

This morning we travelled the short journey to Handsworth Grammar School to play Rockmount United. There was only one change to the starting line-up this morning with Brad Tiernan dropping out of the staring eleven through illness, with Jimmy Rogers returning to his regular right back berth, and the dynamic and versatile James Wood switching to left back.

The game started well for us and was pretty even for the first 15 minutes with both teams trying to adjust to the windy conditions and the bobbly condition of the pitch, both teams created a couple of half chances during this period. On 17 minutes Jimmy Rogers crossed a ball to the back post, Jamie Holder headed it down into the six yard box with James Grinsted, in a central position, tapping home from close range, 1-0. The match was very scrappy with the ball endlessly out of play; fortunately for us on 40 minutes we grabbed our second of the game after great work from Jamie Holder who crossed the ball for Danny Holland to slot home from close range.

HT: 2-0

We continued the second half in the same fashion as the first, defending resolutely but lacking the finishing quality in the final third. Rockmount continued to probe and only occasionally threatened to breach our defensive line. The first change of the game was made on 60 minutes with Gary Lunt replacing right midfielder Danny Wood, 5 minutes later Jamie Holder with his third assist of the game, passed a defence splitting ball through to super sub Gary Lunt who lobbed the on rushing keeper, 3-0 (A tactical masterstroke from the manager).

On 67 minutes Tom Slater replaced Stu Smith, with Tom going into a defensive midfield role and James Grinsted going up front, and for the second time a substitution affecting the game, within 4 minutes Danny Holland, 71 minutes, calmly lashed the ball past Rockmount’s keeper at his near post, assisted from a cross by Gary Lunt, 4-0. The final change of the game, on 75 minutes saw Aidan Hackwood replace Jimmy Rogers, seeing the ever versatile James Wood move into the right back position and Aidan drop in at left back. Rockmount continued to attack when possible, and were rewarded on 86 minutes when their player dribbled through our defence, past at least four challenges to see him calmly shoot past Allan Wilde, 4-1. Jamie Holder nearly broke his duck for the day, seeing his lob of the keeper from the centre circle bounce over the crossbar when everyone thought the only outcome was going to be a goal.

FT: 4-1

Our unbeaten run in 2014 in the league continues with 4 wins and 1 draw, next week we entertain Selly Oak in our final league match. Congratulations to Lewis Cox on his man of the match performance with a masterful showing in his defensive midfield position.

Comments are closed.