St Mary’s 1 Charlemont Star 1

28th March

Our last match of the campaign saw us travel the short journey to the University of Wolverhampton to take on title chasing St Mary’s.

Both teams struggled to adapt to the blustery windy conditions early on, with St Mary’s edging the possession. St Mary’s took the lead on 24 minutes after our keeper Allan Wilde fumbled what should have been a routine stop behind for a corner. The ball from the resulting corner was whipped in and directly went into the goal evading Lewis Cox on the far post, 1-0. St Mary’s created a couple of half chances, but poor finishing in front of goal kept us in the game. We created a few chances ourselves but lacked quality in front of goal to capitalise from them.

HT: 1-0

At half time Bradley Tiernan replaced the Glossop bound newshound Lewis Cox, which resulted in a couple of positional changes for us. We started to impose ourselves on the game; the message at half time from the gaffer was while it is 1-0 we are still in the game. The next goal and equaliser came on 57 minutes when Jamie Holder struck a thunderbolt from 15 yards past the St Mary’s keeper, 1-1. Jamie has scored 20 goals in his first season in division 1, of which 19 have been in the league, well done!

After the goal we seemed to find our self-belief and created a couple of half chances but the best one fell to Gary Lunt unmarked after a pass from Jamie Holder from the left side, who hit the ball wide of the goal when if he had hit the target it would have been a certain goal. Both teams continued to search for a winner; we made our final two substitutions on 70 and 75 minutes, with Stuart Smith replacing Danny Holland and Chris James replacing James Grinsted respectively.

St Mary’s created a great opportunity to have won the game in the final stages but Allan Wilde kept the effort out with a good save. We saw the game out to earn a well-deserved point, and end what has been very good season first season in division 1, albeit a season of inconsistency without us putting back-to-back victories together in the league. Something to build on for the next season!

FT: 1-1

Thanks to referee Neil Taylor and his two assistants who had an excellent game. Good luck to St Mary’s for the rest of the season.

Comments are closed.