St Mary’s 1 v 0 All Saints Olumpic

This was a very hard fought game between two teams with a lot of quality on the pitch. Paul from All Saints said afterwards that he wished they could play in such high quality games every week and I agree. All Saints really had to win to stay in the title race where as we could technically lose and it still be in our own hands (albeit we would have to beat Sheldon).

The game started, as it went on, as an even contest. We took the lead when Coleman tricked his way into the box and with Locke looking to gather the loose ball he was bundled from behind resulting in a penalty which Coleman calmly despatched.

We continued to push whilst never creating that ‘good’ chance to double our lead, but All Saints were playing dangerous through balls, forcing a number of corners and long throws which we managed to deal with.

Half time came and went with the game remaining even. Neither team created a clear chance with defences on top until Coyne got clear through after good work and his clever lob went narrowly wide. That was until a huge kick from the All Saints keeper was lost in the sun and the ball bounced off the now rock hard pitch over Phil in our goal who had come to retrieve, leaving their striker clear through. Luckily for us Ali Davis had not given up and managed to get back and hook the ball off the goal line when the All Saints striker seemingly had the goal at his mercy (he certainly looked shocked he had not scored…). On such moments titles can be won!

This gave us a jolt and despite a couple of set pieces we looked more likely to score on the break despite All Saints pressure, closing the game out with a fair degree of comfort for such a big game at 1v0. On to Zion next week.

Ps: can I just add in a congratulations to our former long time captain/manager Nick Sprason (whom some of you can probably remember being kicked by!) and Kim, who are now proud parents to Benjamin, and despite being up in Scotland is still an avid St Marys fan!

Comments are closed.