St Marys 4 v 3 Hall Green United

I think this was St Marys first ever game in the BCFA cup, and we started with a win which should have been far more comfortable than it was. considering we were 3 v 0 up at half time.

We started well, knocking the ball around as well as we could on a sticky pitch whilst being careful not to allow Hall Green to break on us as they liked to push forward in numbers when given the chance. We got an early breakthrough with a rare Green goal. He received the ball on the edge of the area and placed a shot at the keeper who fumbled it into the net, not pretty but they all count!

We continued to press but following the goal became more lax in our play, then one good move found Andy Harris who slid the ball through for Tink to round the keeper an slide in for 2 v 0. Phil then provided an assist for Tinks 2nd with a huge kick allowing him to run clear and once again round the keeper to score. 3 v 0 half time.

Being 3 v 0 up we coasted through the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half however that can always be dangerous and with our workrate dropping Hall Green began to get ontop and we allowed a cross in from deep for the Hall Green Striker placed a superb header into the corner. This should have woken us up but a virtually identical goal 10 minutes later made it 3 v 2 and game on. At this point there were 10 minutes left and we could not seem to keep the ball with Hall Green going all out for a 3rd goal. However good work from Tink led to a free kick on the right and Green curled the ball to the front post where I (Myatt) managed catch a volley sweetly (with a full on toe poke) and the game seemed settled at 4 v 2.

Hall Green had other ideas and managed to force a 3rd with the last kick of the game when the ball fell at their players feet 3 yards out following a corner.

In the cup it is only the result which matters, but we will need to concentrate for the whole game in later rounds!

St Marys 3 v 1 Chawn Hill Church

A quick report on last weeks game vs Chawn Hill. This was a lot closer than it should have been due to very lax finishing. We created numerous excellent chances but could not manage to kill the game off and as always Chawn would not give in and kept coming at us. As the league observer stated it took us until at least 70 minutes to get the vital 2 goals with an O.G. and a Tink lob/cross (depending who you believe…) finishing it after we had earlier taken the lead and then given it up too easily. Again though it is the 3 points that count and we got there in the end.

Comments are closed.