St Michaels 4 Hawbush 5

January 3rd

Hawbush continued their steady improvement this season with a narrow 5-4 win in the rain and mud of Moor Lane against a good St Michaels who beat us 3-0 just a few weeks ago.
Arron Hope again the architect of our win with a first half trick which makes it 21 goals for the season, bearing in mind he was our goalkeeper last year, he has to have a case for most improved player in the division this time around.
The game started in rain, and we took a surprise lead in the first minute when Mitch Pountney pinged a tremendous 50 yard pass into the run of ‘Azza’ who comfortably finished from close range.
The lead didn’t last long before St Michael striker Robert Zaleski climbed highest in the box to nod home from close range. But it was Hawbush who again took the lead when Azza got his second when he picked the ball up 40 yards from goal, saw the keeper fractionally off his line and lobbed him…. Was a fantastic goal.
Again though the home team pressed forward and after our keeper Ben Walton had made two good saves, the St Micheals attacking three of Patryck, Rob and Kamil began causing us problems and they combined again to make it 2-2. But to our credit Hawbush kept pushing and following Tom Wylde’s run down the left the unfortunate home defender slipped and handled in the box, penalty despatched by Arron to complete his hat trick.
The see-saw continued to tip when St Michaels made it 3-3, and as half-time approached following a scramble in the box Sam Smith fired home to make it 4-3 at half-time.
The biggest change came for us when Ross Brookes was given a man to man marking job on St Michaels danger man Patryck Jasicki and Ross kept him very subdued in the second half, following him everywhere and limiting his role in the game.
At the back makeshift centre-half Dan Wood, and full backs Alex Brookes and Josh Westwood (All three of whom were attacking players last season) began to assert some control on the game. In midfield Mitch and Sam were showing their strength and composure, with Sam having his best game for us in a Hawbush shirt.
On the hour mark though disaster for Hawbush when a long range effort sneaked in to make the score 4-4 but just minutes later Ryan Houghton flicked on a header from a corner and Tom Wydle’s back post header made it 5-4. (Ryan and Tom featured in the picture this week).
Both teams had chances in the last 20 minutes with St Michaels having the better of it but they couldn’t find a way to find another equaliser. In truth a 5-5 draw may have been a fair result as it was an even game, but Hawbush this year are managing to grind out results. We look forward to giving the remaining games all we’ve got and see how high we can finish.

Comments are closed.