Wednesbury Baptist 3 – 1 City Church

After last weeks 4-1 loss to Connect Sports we wanted to bounce back with a good result and preferably a win but we knew it would be hard against a team who not so long ago were challenging for and winning Division 1.

We started off on the front foot and put City under instant pressure and could have been 1-0 up within the opening 5 minutes but last ditch defending and a good reflex save kept the scores level. The rest of the first half seemed to continue in the same fashion with City being reduced to shots from distance which Obi was more than capable of attempting, luckily for us he could get the distance but not the accuracy! (age old dilemma of power or placement).

Half time 0-0.

The second half started with us picking up where we left and we were now pinning City back resulting in all their players being in their own half. We got our reward for this constant pressure when Webby took a throw in which Craig managed to get his head to and provide a deft touch to send it into the top corner and away from the keeper. We continued to press and should have been at least 3-0 up albeit for some inspired goalkeeping. The ref then awarded a penalty for a fantastic save (this time made by their centre back with his hand) unfortunately for us the keeper once again denied us as he saved from Jacks effort.

City appeared to rally at this point and left me thinking that it was going to be one of those days, the warning sign came when City hit the post rather than putting it into the empty net as Keeper Carl was still getting back to position after saving from the initial shot. City got back on level terms not long after when a corner was drifted in and unsurprisingly Obi outjumped everybody to loop his header over Carl in goal and into the net. 1-1.

As the half continued we created chances but nothing clear cut, we made changes of our own at this point bringing on Martin Woodhall and Karl Lawrence for Webby and Fidell to mix it up a little. The changes paid off as Martin was running their tiring full back ragged and got our 2nd goal which was a superb individual goal taking on at least 3 players before his elegant chipped finish over the on rushing keeper who nearly got back to palm it off the line but Pete was already following in showing his true predator instincts if that had been the case. With about 15 minutes to go we survived another scare with a goal line clearance from Craig which shows how valuable the man on the post can be and also that he is just as important to the team going forward has he is at the back.

We finished the game off with our next attack when Marc ‘Jonah’ Jones continued his impressive start to life at WBFC with an inch perfect cross field path to Karl whose first touch killed the ball instantly and finished it with his second. 3-1 and game over as far as we were concerned as we then dropped Craig into middle and Nick into the back to give us a much more settled and structured look for the last 5-10 mins.

A much needed win after last week’s defeat and huge credit to the young referee today who showed experience beyond his years.

Comments are closed.