Breaking News 1st November – Match Reports 31st October

******* All W.M.C.F.L Fixtures are POSTPONED until 5th December. *******


As the League moves into a 4 week curtailment of fixtures I am pleased to say that we continue to receive a few Match Reports.

Apologies that it has taken me until early evening to get them on here but it’s been a busy day. First off we have Bob from Christ Church Coseley detailing their 4-0 win away to Brierley Hill A.O.G moving them into 2nd place just behind Monyhull Church whose match was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Brierley Hill A.O.G 0-4 Christ Church Coseley

Today we headed over to South Road to face brierley hill, with the rain pouring down on the journey over it never entered my head that the game would be called off and it wasn’t. Once again south road holding the water away.

Both teams started well with a lot of the play being in the midfield with both sides battling away and both defences stopping anything in the final 3rd. A few chances for either side came an went, jord causing trouble on the left and josh finding space on the right it was always looking like we would grab a goal and we did. Nas found a yard or 2 of space on the edge and fired a low shot into the corner to make it 1-0.
Settled down the next 10 minutes went the same as the previous 20. Around 35 minutes in a long throw from josh found bob who controlled the ball down and fired a ball into the roof of the net to make it 2-0. We came close to a 3rd shortly after when chambers crashed a shot against the crossbar after a brilliant run.

Ht 0-2

2nd half was much better from ourselves. More in control and created more chances jord nas bob josh all coming close an josh having a shot goal bound hit his own player on the way. Maybe when things like that happen you start to think 2 goals is all we would get. As the 2nd half continued fresh legs helped us keep control of the game. Both sides then weathered a storm. The rain coming down that much even ducks didn’t hang around and went for shelter. Last 10 minutes brierley hills legs had gone and a ball into our own “Benjamin Button” clive parkes saw him fire past the keeper to make it 3-0. With a minute left the game was put truly to bed screeny picking the ball up 20 yards out and again firing past the keeper. Ft 4-0

Just like to thank the ref for today who let the game play well , and the hill lads an Ian for another brilliant game of football, I’ve said this before, its always a pleasure to play against these lads no matter what score is at ft they walk off smile and they always give 100%. Nice to see some old faces still floating around and hopefully they will be around for a few more years.
Another clean sheet and 3 points for us.


Next up, we have a report off Martin Ogbourn from City Church.

Charlemont Star 1-4 City Church

It was an enjoyable match this morning despite the horrendous weather conditions which ended in a crazy hailstorm before the sun came out on the drive home!

City Church gained an important and deserved three points away to Charlemont in today’s match at Churchfields. For the second time in three games, City should have been out of sight by half time after starting strongly and creating some good opportunities, including hitting a post. City only had a scrambled goal to show for their efforts at half time despite dominating possession and strikes on goal (the goal scorer was Joe Cannon). HT 0-1.

At the start of the second half, Charlemont came out strongly and had a good spell pushing City back, but two well worked goals in quick succession, created by Dan Haynes with a lovely through ball and Brad Lynch with a rare left footed cross, put City 3-0 and looking comfortable. They were scored by Joe Cannon and Nick Graham.

However, at this stage the game became a bit end-to-end as both sides had further chances. John Sheppard (deputising in goal) made a couple of important saves together with some good defending, after Charlemont pushed players forward. Charlemont did pull one goal back at about the 70th minute mark to give them hope, but Dinanga restored the 3-goal cushion to put the result beyond doubt, with a lovely finish from a tight angle late on. (FT 4-1)

Both sides deserve credit for a decent contest in the poor weather conditions played in a good atmosphere. It was a solid all-round team performance by City and man-of-the-match was Cannon, closely followed by Haynes.

Hopefully we can all get back to playing again soon so we can all enjoy the physical, mental and social benefits of Saturdays morning football. Thanks to the League Committee, volunteers and officials for enabling the season to start at all in the circumstances. Best wishes to Charlemont for the rest of the season (whenever that restarts!).


The last report I have received comes off Pete Bennett regarding their 6-1 defeat to current table toppers St Andrews’ Netherton.

Rowley College 1-6 St Andrews’ Netherton

It’s not often you sit down with any kind of relish to write up a 6-1 defeat but after last week’s humiliation this was a performance of real character and no little ability.  It was always going to be a big ask for all of our players to get back involved at the same ground seven days after that thrashing but the 11 that pitched up today did themselves and our club proud.  Last week’s result hid nothing, this week’s was in no obvious sense a reflection of the game. Saint Andrews succeeded because of the extra quality they have particularly forward but we created enough chances to be much closer and if Shawn had been wearing a Rowley shirt today he would likely have equally helped himself to a handful of goals

In absolutely atrocious conditions both teams gave their all, playing open attacking football and we made them show how good they are by a resolute defensive display and competition all over the pitch.  It is testimony to Dave’s lads that their forward play produced great goals even though we were infinitely better at the back, boosted by the return from injury (rushed back) of the 44 year old player manager and ably supported by Billy, Clive and Chris.  Mark was immense and only their very best in terms of movement from Shawn, Rion and Robbo was going to breach us today.  They got it absolutely right twice in the first half after Steve Cartwright, excellent today, had given them a harsh penalty (ball to hand: new version of handball but hard to take when you’re up against it).

We dealt with most else because with Jamie away we had to call on Jay, our top scorer, to play in goal.  We ‘knew’ he was a keeper elsewhere {and higher] on Sundays but boy was he!  This lad has been great for us as an attacking midfielder and we accept he is playing for us because he wants to play outfield but boy, is he a terrific goalkeeper: agile, decisive and kicks the length of the pitch.  He had no chance with any of the goals, which shows the quality of their finishing.  And sadly that was the major difference: in every other area of the game we were matching them, even after Chris got injured making a great tackle twenty minutes in and negotiated the rest of the game on just over one leg.

The centre midfielders, Shola and Hayden worked tirelessly in a bog in the middle of the pitch and our attacking players gave their back lads a full game’s worth of work.  With Fowler one side, linking up with Billy and Matty Suff, who has never been better in a Rowley shirt and Jack, full of tricks and workrate linking with Connor we opened St Andrews up frequently.  My only frustration is that having created half a dozen chances (and good ones) across the first half, we went in 0-4 because it could have been 4-4.  And that continued second half as we had the slope and more chances, though they defended heroically intent on the clean sheet and scored a couple more on the break.  We finally got the goal we more than deserved when Mark went up for a corner and nodded back for Shola to force over the line.

I think St Andrews are the best team in this league but we proved to ourselves today that we’ve got good players and the character to dig in when things are not going for us (an understatement).  No-one epitomised this more than Mark Southall, who has been playing in this league since 1992 (gulp!) and Chrissy Staien whose first season was the year we won the league (2001-02) (it’s been all downhill since).  What happens next, given today’s notice, is anybody’s guess so let’s make the most of it.  The last two weeks have been somewhat traumatic but also a good test of perspective: the attitude has been great on both sides, there’s been some terrific football (mostly theirs but…) and I’ve been reminded how I’ll miss it when it’s gone!

Comments are closed.