Kevin Kovacs Memorial Trophy 2018

I wrote in my first post, (17th August), whether this season would be the merry go round or the rollercoaster. Well, the first competitive match of the season was definitely a rollercoaster by the sounds of things. Due to an injury my driving is limited and I could not attend. However, we do have a match report supplied to us, (hopefully the first of many in the new season). Thanks to Shawn Devonport for the report.

Life Central First 4vs4 St Andrews Netherton Baggies
Life Central Won 5-4 on penalties

A good game today, as the cliche goes a game of 2 halves.

I actually missed the first 15 minutes whilst I went and got changed after not managing to do so before the game due to running around getting everything organised. I came out to hear that we were 3-0 up, clearly a very fast start. Ste Jones, Leon Naylor and an own goal from a Jay Western throw in doing the damage. We missed a few other good chances, Mark missed one on one almost dinking the keeper and Greg missed a good chance from a rebound before it was 4-0, Ste getting his second pouncing on a defensive error. St. Andrews weren’t out the game though and with 10 minutes of the first half to go they started to create some chances and got one back from a scramble following a ball into the box. They could have pulled another back but the Cb missed a good chances Mis timing an header.

We made 3 changes at the break, wanting to give some of the other lads some much needed pre season minutes. St Andrews came out strong and after we missed a good chance they countered and a defensive error allowed their striker to make it 4-2. We had a 3 on 1 but a good tactical foul stopped us in our flow and 2 minutes later St Andrews made it 4-3 from the spot, we felt the foul was outside the box but the skipper made no mistake and the goal was probably deserved. The game turned into a basketball match with both teams having half chances, St Andrews in particular missing one very good chance when a square ball for an open goal was slightly misjudged and a header missed at the far post after a great Robbo delivery. With 2 minutes to go St Andrews completed the comeback with a tap in to make it 4-4.

On to penalties, Robbo scored for St Andrews, Leon made no mistake finding the corner, St Andrews scored again with a penalty almost saved, Joe made no mistake for us 2-2. Skipper stepped up and scored a great penalty 3-2, Mark with another good penalty making it 3-3. St Andrews then missed, think Colombia at the World Cup hitting the bar, Ethan then made it 3-4 with a very good penalty sending the keeper the wrong way. St Andrews stayed alive when the RB made it 4-4 and it was down to myself to send the keeper the wrong way to make it 4-5 and hand us the trophy.

A great game, I felt the way we played first half we deserved the win, changes seemed to disrupt us at HT but full credit to St Andrews they didn’t give up and it turned into a very good game. All 3 officials were excellent, a good start to the season!

Comments are closed.