More Match Reports For 23rd February

Two more match reports received, the first From Martin Ogbourn of City Church.

Monyhull Church 2 vs 3 City Church  
In glorious early spring sunshine City Church managed to get the better of Monyhull at Row Heath in a frantic finale to the league game after 80 minutes of a tight battle.
City started the match strongly and took an early lead through Janny who curled a lovely finish passed the diving keeper. Shortly afterwards City were awarded a stonewall penalty that was well saved.
Despite being on top and demonstrating some good attacking play, City were unable to get the second goal after good saves by the Monyhull keeper.
Monyhull came more into the game as the half wore on, but City were disappointed not to have at least doubled the scoring before half time (HT 0-1).
The second half was more evenly matched, but neither side could find the finish, before a crazy end to the game. At around the 80th minute mark, Monyhull equalised, but almost straight away City again took the lead through substitute, Ian Monk with a far post finish. However, this seemed to spur Monyhull on, as they went down the other end and equalised for a second time.
The drama wasn’t finished yet as the game resembled an end-to-end basketball match at this stage with chances at both ends. In one attack, Monyhull almost took the lead for the first time in the match, but hit the post from close range.
With a couple of minutes left, City took the lead for the third and final time from another substitute, Isaac Horry who wrong footed the keeper inside the area. It was a good finish for the neutral, but not for the nerves of the coaches as defending went out of the window!
Overall, City deserved the three points on the balance of play, in my opinion. However, it was a good battle and could have gone either way at the end.
My man-of-the-match was Janny for his all-round play in his first start since October. Mel and Brad were also dangerous and the subs had an instant impact. Atkins linked play well and it was only spectacular saves which denied him.
All the best to Monyhull who have a good young squad. City look to break their 12-game league sequence of LWLWLWLWLWLW. We are consistently  inconsistent this season!


Match Report received of Joshua Briley, Delph Athletic

Delph Athletic 2 vs 2 St Thomas Aldridge
Having not been at the game myself, I can only really rely on the text updates I got for this report, they came through our manager Matt Slater who was hoping to keep up his 100% win record as manager.
St Thomas are a team who we know can score goals & having played in an 8 goal thriller last time around we were looking forward to an exciting game.
From what I understand – this game was quite the opposite, with most of the messages I received reading along the lines oh ‘mmm very flat game’.
The breakthrough did come mid-way through the first half when Jake Walton in his 2nd start for the club put Ed Sutton through on goal for him to slot home to make it 1-0.
It didn’t take long for another goal to go in & this time it was the same combination again, another great Jake Walton through ball set Ed Sutton up, the St Thomas GK did manage to save his first shot but the rebound fell at Ed’s feet for him to make it 2-0 going into half time.
The Text’s dried up a bit in the 2nd half, St Thomas pulled it back to 2-1 with a penalty & then with about 20 minutes to go made it 2-2.
A poor performance from us in the end, over the past few months we have played in a very positive manner and played with lots of energy, it seems this was missing today & lots of missed chances costed us dearly. Still a point away from home though, which means we are still unbeaten since November.
Next week we travel to Dudley Lions who we have played twice so far, losing 5-1 in the league & winning 4-2 in the League Cup.
Both teams have plenty of games in hand on the teams above them and will certainly be looking at breaking into the top 4.
Comments are closed.