Saturday 26th Review – Part Two

5 matches covered in the first review from last Saturdays games. 3 more match reports have filtered through since Monday so we will start off with those. The first of which was what I considered would be a close game featuring 2 teams near the top of the table, Connect Sports and St Mary’s. So imagine my surprise when a 6-2 scoreline came up on my phone. Quick texts to Willis and John and all became apparent. Looks like it was a match where the depth of their squads came into play with Connect missing 6 regular players and St Mary’s missing 5. (Reckon we may need team updates before we do our predictions 😛 ). With John missing for St Mary’s their goalkeeper Phil Lutwyche has supplied their report of the game:

Connect Sports 2-6 St Mary’s

We went into the game missing a number of players including top scorer Wiedeman and player/manager Myatt, but it turns out Connect were also missing a similar number so I think we both came in worrying the other may turn up at full strength. It was Tom Locke’s first game in caretaker charge and what a first game:

Both teams started off at full pace with neither side really creating anything. This all changed when a silly free kick was given away in a dangerous position, Connect capitalised from a mix up and it somehow ended up in the net off the centre forwards back! 1-0.

This just spurred us on and we picked up our game chasing everything and playing really good 1 and 2 touch football. Rudd on the right wing had a very impressive game taking the ball to the by line numerous times. Likewise on the left with Coleman, who was eventually wrestled down in the penalty area to give us the chance to get straight back in to the match. Harris tucked the penalty away comfortably. 1-1.

Both teams then created a number of chances, from which Connect may feel they should have scored but for a good save from Phil after a offside claim. Then Coleman again took the ball in from the wing to squeeze in a second giving us the advantage. 1-2

We saw this out to half time and we all knew we had to keep this pressure up and chase everything if we were to go on and win the game.

Connect then changed things in the second half making 3 substitutions, putting 3 up top, and causing problems with their movement and ability to run with the ball so well. But following a great tackle from Green, and a quick break with good passing we earned ourselves a corner from which ‘Tink’ Beeson rose best from 6 yards to nod past the keeper. 1-3.

This period was when the match was settled, Connect seemed to have dropped their heads and it got worse as they were reduced to 10 men following a red card for foul and abusive. Harris scored an absolute stunner from well outside the box which bent itself in to the top left corner and things got worse for Connect as an injury meant they had 9 men having used all three substitutes with their bold half time change. 1-4.

We added a 5th through Coleman showing again his strength to ride through challenges and run at defenders. Sheward got our 6th through a great team move down the left and showing great composure to slot it in.

Connect did manage to grab a late consolation in the last seconds but our passion and grit for the game prevailed making it a comfortable win.


So a massive win for St Mary’s and one they will have been pleased to have picked 3 points up from keeping their unbeaten record going. They now sit 1 point behind League leaders Clarendon but have a game in hand. A missed opportunity for Connect but like St Mary’s they also sit 1 point behind Clarendon but having played the same amount of games not forgetting that Wednesbury Baptist and Zion Athletic are also in the mix at the top.

The next report comes from Andy at Charlemont Star:

Monyhull Church 2-2 Charlemont Star

We conceded after 28 seconds, so the words keep it tight from the start went out of the window from the off. We pressed but always looked like we would be susceptible to the being caught on the break. We did manage to equalise on 28 minutes with Danny Holland scoring off a James Wood pass, 1-1. Monyhull took the lead again on 34 minutes and kept the lead until half time, 2-1.

HT: 2-1

Both teams created chances during the early period of the second half; we made a double substitution on 63 minutes with James Grinsted and Chris James replacing Haydn Ellis (injured) and James Wood respectively. On 75 minutes Danny Holland grabbed his second from a cross from Jamie Holder which was slotted home from a tight angle, 2-2. At this stage it could have gone either way with Monyhull missing some glorious chances to have picked up their first victory. Our keeper Allan Wilde made a big save for us in the dying seconds to secure us a point.

FT: 2-2

With no game for us next weekend it gives us an opportunity to recover from some early season injuries which we have picked up. Next game we entertain Rowley College in the League Cup.


So a point each for Monyhull and Charlemont and whilst they do not seem important for Monyhull it is their first point in the top flight and can give them confidence that they can improve on that.

No report from the remaining game in Division 1 which was a 1-1 draw between Wolverhampton and Perton and Renewal Solihull. Whilst Renewal have seen action in the top division before I am sure that like Monyhull they will be glad to also get their first point of the season.

The last report received comes from Rob at St Michael’s regarding their 5-3 away win at Zion City:

Zion City 3-5 Saint Michael (edited)

Games with Zion City are always competitive games and this was no different. On Thursday the team sheet was ready but come Saturday morning we had 5 players who had dropped out.

Good work out before the kick off and then we started really well. Janusz Cyran over ran their defender and he was about to deliver the ball into the box when he got tackled and the assistant referee flagged for a foul. Free kick from right side 17 yard from goal was a great opportunity to set our high tower Robert Zaleski to goal. Patryk Jasicki took this free kick perfect and Robert free from defender that was after him header from 6 yards in to back post. It was less then 5 min of game. We did create more good chances but Zion City wake up also and start doing what they do best. Zion City took control over midfield what give them more space to delivery great balls left and right. One of that great chance was finished by them and half an hour in to game we draw 1-1.

Next goal was out of nothing when Adrian Milowski control ball around 35 yards straight from goal and what suppose to be delivery went on back of goalkeeper hands in to goal. Lucky goal but it was 2-1 for us.

Also this time Zion City did not stop thier game and great ball possesion. They came back in to game again with nice combination ball pass and game on again 2-2!

Right before end we manage to come up front and with few short pass on right side Robert Zaleski set up Tomasz Loch left leg perfect shot into the top left corner. Great goal that gives up 3-2 into half time.

In 2nd half both teams keep playing really good football and probably it was great for watching to our supporters as we found our self again on top of that when Patryk Jasicki pass to Robert Zaleski run on full speed left him right on front of goalkeeper who was trying to short his space but he manage to left foot it in to far post and ball hit net. 4-2 for us!

We start doing subs and we change our midfielders and one striker. 30 min was good time for them to settle in to game with good score on top.

4:3 and Zion City back on with more and more chances. Pushed us back and all we could best at that time only to clear ball away from our goal. When we though they will draw it again Kamil Lason done something amazing. He one touch control long ball ( still on our half ) from our defence to side line and out run all Zion City defence just to score 5th goal for us!! This was good 60 yards run by him that gave us more time to hold onto the win with 2 goals ahead!


So Saint Michael sit 3rd in the table on 7 points from 3 games. With every other team having at least 3 points apart from Hawbush  any win seems to propel a team up the table. I think it will be a while before this Division takes shape.

No reports from the 3 remaining games but Selly Oak Methodist will be relieved to get their first points of the season. Goals from Kiran Blake-Burke and Daryl Brandy were enough for them to win 2-1 against St Thomas’ Aldridge whose only goal was scored by Luke Helsdon.

Sandwell United also managed their first win of the season with a 2-1 win over Corinthians S.K. So Sandwell continue with their fine form remaining unbeaten since the first week of the season.

The last match saw 5 goals split between Brierley Hill AOG and Dudley Lions with Dudley coming out as 3-2 winners and in doing so move into 2nd in the table on the same points as leaders Maple Leaf Rovers QMC.

In the Prediction Challenge I had a really poor week only getting 3 predictions correct but having 1 correct score. Andres from Maple Leaf had a great week correctly getting 6 results right but no correct score lines. So the 2nd defeat of the season for me albeit by 1 point.

Comments are closed.