Saturday Review

For a parks League to have all the results and goal scorers available for everyone to see within an hour and a half of their matches finishing is a pretty good achievement in my eyes, so a big well done to James, (our web master as I call him). There will be weeks when this just isn’t possible due to work and other activities taking precedent but for our 1st active week I am well impressed. So, we did excellent on our end but how did you do yourselves?

Well there haven’t been many match reports to glean things from but Saint Michael seem to have hit the season running with a thumping 9-2 win over Hawbush, who had a couple of bad injuries during the game. The scoreline may have been slightly better for Hawbush were it not for the injuries but looking at the report from Saint Michael the victory would have been theirs anyway.

Saint Michael 9-2 Hawbush (edited)

Let’s start from beginning. First 15 min were a bit sloppy. Both side were checking each other defence with long passes and there was not much ball control for each side. Morning goal score list has been open by Janusz Cyran who manage to pass defence and goalkeeper and place it in. From that moment we started taking control. Janusz next raid in to goal area and one touch and he is landing on floor with the referee awarding a penalty to us! Arek Dabrowski converted the penalty. 15min before the end of first half Hawbush lost their striker due to a leg injury. That gave our defence less presure as he was doing a great job heading and flick ons. We created some nice chances but none of them were finished off!

Last 45 min to hold win or push it to max. What happen next was one way show. Kamil Lasoń and Patryk Jasicki took control of goals and assist. Great play from our wing man Patryk give a great chance to others to score. First he set Kamil Lasoń to score his first this morning with excelent pass to 16 yard box and all Kamil had to do it just put it in. Next goal it’s again Patryk Jasicki assist with long delivery in to box where ball passes all defence and last person to got in to it was Robert Zaleski who jump from behind and put it on back of net. 4:0 and we still pushing forward making Hawbush defence to work harder and harder. In one of this attacks their centre back cleared ball but unlucky for him he sustain an injury. What was clearly a bad moment to them. With already 2 players down to injury they could not stop us from scoring more and more. 5th one was scored by Janusz Cyran who was great that morning and he deserved a Player of Match award but shortly after scoring his 2nd goal he ask for change due to muscle pain. While we were on a goal spree 2 more subs came on to push Hawbush even harder and 6th goal was scored from one of them. Adam Kryspin been set by other player giving him lots of space and time to score. When we were up 6:0 we start playing a bit silly and we did not finish good chances to keep score even higher. Then our right back Wojtek Mikolajczyk who was doing good today raid his wing and delivery or even shoot was really hard ball to control and defender make mistake and ball landed in net. Last 2 goals from Kamil Lasoń who was on good run today gave him his hat-trick in first game. We hope he stays in this mode for longer! Meanwhile Hawbush scored 2 goals with one long range shot and one where our defence were on holiday in the Hawbush area!

Simon, (from Hawbush ), I wish you quick recovery from this injury!


So the largest win of the weekend sets Saint Michael top of the table, but who is there in Division One? Well. it may be a new season but St Mary’s have carried on where they left off with a 6-0 triumph over Charlemont Star. Whilst both myself and Pete forecast a home win it was nowhere near the level that we predicted, (me 2-0, Pete 3-0). I was a little surprised as I expected a bit more from Charlemont as I always consider them a difficult team to break down. But a hat trick from Luke Wiedeman and a goal apiece for Nicholas Sheward and Andy Beeson has set St Mary’s strike force off at a pace. (Maybe they also want to be top of the ‘Entertainment Table’). An own goal by Charlemont probably rounded off a tough day for a seasons opener for them.

How would Rowley College fare beginning their 25th season as a Club? Well I will let Pete Bennett tell the tale.

Rowley College 3 Monyhull Church 0

Monyhull’s first game in our top division coincided today with the first game of our twenty fifth season as a club (twenty four of these in the WMCFL). Twenty five years ago we started in the Wolverhampton Amateur League with a 12-0 defeat (though the result was recorded as 11-0!) and a year later we were welcomed into the WMCFL with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of West Bromwich Beacons. In the latter game we performed much like Monyhull today: we were very much in the game, committed and energetic but lost out to a little more ‘nouse’. For today’s match was exactly what you’d expect from a first game of the season against a newly promoted team, which can equally seen as either a good or bad time to play them.

They certainly gave account of themselves and have some skilful players including a pacey right winger who was a constant threat. They also had massive amounts of energy and enthusiasm and it was important for us to take the sting out of the game early on. Thankfully our experience and quality defensively ensured they had limited penetration with keeper Lee ably supported by Chris, South and the returning Matt Williams. We also had strength in the centre of midfield where Christy played just ahead of the excellent Olly and young Ben Smith and ensured we had some control.

Monyhull started brighter but we began to settle down and play our football and our first extended move saw Sammy move the ball through to Craig who managed to play it to Christy who appeared to be moving right but instead held it up and sent the ball left to Clive via Ben. Clive then dropped a perfect cross onto Olly’s head for 1-0.

Monyhull then had their best period and were unlucky not to level things when their centre forward strayed just offside before calmly finishing. This kept us ahead by half time and asking for a little more guile. Monyhull kept at it second half but we began to have more and better chances. A scramble following a corner saw Craig score our second and young Tom Cartin came off the bench to stretch them and might have had a hat trick. He did sweep in a third before the end and lee made a sharp save to keep the clean sheet intact.

All the best to John and his boys for the season!

The text message I received from John at Monyhull was “welcome to Division One” So a good start for Rowley and probably disappointment for the Monyhull lads but Pete got his forecast right, if not the correct score.

I went for one of my hunches and had Renewal Solihull to catch Clarendon napping on the first day of the season predicting a draw. (Pete went for a Clarendon win). Ooh, so close for me in what appears to have been a belter of a game, but, Clarendon left with all 3 points courtesy of 2 goals from Junior Stewart, 1 off Stevon Richards and an own goal. Mark Hadden notched 2 penalties but an additional goal from Lee Nash was not enough to prevent Solihull from losing 4-3.

I am not sure if the weather was hot enough for water breaks on Saturday but it appears that Dudley Lions game was a match of 3 thirds! Over to Steve from Dudley with his report.

Dudley Lions 4-2 St Thomas’ Aldridge

The old cliche of football being a game of 2 halves was re invented by us last Saturday by being a game of 3 thirds…..a scrappy 30 minutes, a good 30 minutes whereby we scored our 4 goals, and then a lazy 30 minutes whereby we did our best to lose a 4-0 lead by taking our foot off the gas.

The game itself started like a typical season opener with both teams getting used to each other and the pace of the pitch, with few chances created. All this changed, however after the 30 minute mark when Dean Jones hit an unstoppable shot from fully 40 yards that flew into the net.

This lifted the lads, and we played some of our more tidier football, so it was perfect timing when we scored our 2nd after a lovely through ball to Nathan Johns, 2-0 at half time.

The first 15 minutes of the 2nd half saw us take what should have been an unassailable 4-0 lead thanks to an absolute corker of a 20 yard shot from Steve Devonport and a debut goal from Matt Goodhead, but we simply took our foot off the gas and stopped doing the things that had seen us take a 4-0 lead.

This allowed a very spirited St Thomas side to score 2 quick goals and force us onto the back foot for the remainder of the game. Resolute defending, however, saw us home with MOM skipper Dave Cartwright marshelling the back 4 over the stormy waters.

Huge thanks to the match officials for allowing the game to flow freely.

So, Dudley Lions start off with a win, but for the other Steve from St Thomas’ Aldridge this defeat carries on the poor form from last season. I am sure his lads will be aiming to turn things around as quickly as possible. Luke Helsdon popped up with a brace for the Aldridge lads.

How would the new teams fair in the League? St Mathews’ Walsall vs Maple Leaf Rovers Q.M.C. saw 3 individual players notching 2 goals apiece. 2 goals for Kiran Kellman were not enough to prevent Maple Leaf losing with St Matthews’ Walsall players, Kevin Humpage and James Scragg also both scoring 2 with Sam Whitehouse scoring their other in a 5-2 win for them.

Living Hope Church United had a 3-1 win over Corinthians S.K. A brace from Benjamin Berrows and 1 for Callum Oakshott was enough for the Living Hope boys to get 3 points on their return to the League.

New changing rooms over at Rowheath for the City Church vs Zion Athletic game but how did the match pan out. Peter Barks from Zion Athletic with their report.

City Church 1-2 Zion Athletic

So the start of another new season. It was a good game to start the season as well. The new changing facilities at Rowheath Pavilion were much appreciated. On the pitch we (Zion) started fairly sluggishly. We had a good defensive shape throughout the match but our passing was not great to begin with. City cut through us a bit and maybe should have done a bit better with their half chances. We then grew in confidence and hit them with two goals in quick succession, one a nice left footed finish from our man of the match Oli Morris who played his best ever game for Zion with his tireless running and excellent passing. The second goal was a result of great perseverance from our striker Sam Crook. That’s two goals in 2 games for both Oli and Sam*. Well done lads and keep it up. Those two goals knocked the wind out of City’s sails and we got to half time fairly smoothly.
In the second half and as the game went on, City came back strong and although they didn’t have many clear cut chances , they showed great determination. Their goal came from a fantastic strike from their number 6 Dan Haynes. We made a couple of subs as did they and both teams had chances. Obi started to wander outside his box but his long kicks provided some good service for his team. In the end though we managed to hold on to what I think was a fair result. The game was played in a great spirit and I can’t remember that many fouls and no cards were showed which was great.
Proud of all of the 11 starting 11 today and all 3 that came on. Both teams have a lot to build on for the rest of the season.

Pete Barks, Zion Athletic joint manager, Club Secretary, and right back!

Four more matches left to review and how did the first Kovacs Prediction Challenge Finish?

Well time is against me, so as Ed Walker used to say, “More To Follow”

But not tonight!

Comments are closed.