Amblecote 2 v 3 St Marys

John Myatt writes: We continued our winning start, but were lucky to do so against a well organised Amblecote side. In our previous 2 games we have started well, but we were well off the pace and Amblecote were on top whilst not creating many clear cut chances. They deservedly took the lead from a long throw and some slack marking at the back post. This finally got us going and a good switch of play and good footwork from Ali Davis saw him brought down for a penalty which Andy Harris dispatched within 2 minutes of Amblecote going ahead. We then raised our level to make it a more even game which was 1v1 at half time.

Second half we tried to get going but couldn’t put any quality into the front two, Amblecote kept working hard and were looking dangerous on the break. It was from this route that they scored albeit from a huge deflection which spun into the top corner, in off the far post, with the shot originally going well wide. Once again falling behind forced us to up our game and we were on top for the rest of the half, again without creating too many clear chances other than another penalty shout and a few wayward headers. We equalised after some good play down the right and the cross evaded all, until Harris stole in just past the penalty spot to thump it into the roof of the net. At this point there were about 10 minutes left and we continued to push for the winner, the best chances falling to Coleman and Beeson which were well saved and blocked on the line respectively. Then we got one last throw in with a minute left which found its way to the back post where the keeper made a tremendous save from a Davis and Beeson hack at the ball. The ball hit the post and the keeper got one hand to it but I was on hand to smash it off his hand, back onto the post and trickle in. There were comments made that the goalkeeper had 2 hands on the ball but after consulting with his assistant the ref gave the goal.

Very unlucky for Amblecote who matched an under par St Marys for most of the game and probably deserved a point. Hopefully this was a warning that we need to be on our game next week away at Sheldon

Comments are closed.