Hawbush 1 Monyhull 2

A very disappointing result for us today as we looked to continue our great win last week but missed chances, injuries and generally being off the ball didn’t help our cause.
Prior to the game we had to make 4 forced changes to last week’s starting XI with Justin Warren, Simon Ashby and Jay Davies all injured with Tom Wylde having to drop to the bench and during the game itself we lost our centre half Matt Welch, our centre forward Ben Walton and our midfielder Dan Scriven to injury, having to play periods of the second half with ten men. For any squad losing 7 or 8 players is difficult to keep some fluency and consistency and so it proved for Hawbush this weekend.
So that said, the fact we only lost this game 2-1 is a real positive for Hawbush and we hope in the coming weeks with so many players out injured that our other players step up to the plate and put in some great performances.
The game itself for Hawbush was a bit flat, although in the first half we were well in the game and when Dan Wood saw his shot saved and roll across the line. Ben only had to tap it in, but his injury meant he could barely reach the ball and the defender cleared it away via the post. We had other glimpses of goal with Woody looking dangerous as ever but couldn’t convert and it cost us.
As the half wore on Monyhull gained some control and dominated the last ten minutes before the break scoring from a quick break to make it 1-0.
In the second half we never really imposed ourselves at all. If we had the same second half as the previous week we would have won this game comfortably but it never really happened and Monyhull took a deserved 2-0 lead when they converted a penalty following a clear handball in our area. The away team could and should have extended their lead really as they missed a series of golden chances.
With ten minutes left we were given a lifeline when Tom Wylde scored with a great header from a Mitch Pountney free-kick, and during the closing minutes we had a few half chances to snatch a point but it wasn’t to be.
So well done to Monyhull and we move onto next week hoping to get back to winning ways.

Comments are closed.