Hawbush 1 Monyhull Church 2

I think this game is best described as a game of two halves (at least performance-wise).

Having put in a decent shift against Pye Green, we were expecting to kick on against new boys Hawbush. This did not happen in the first half however. Hawbush, young, nippy, good on the ball, played some good stuff and their fast no.10 was a real threat, breaking through on several occasions, only to be thwarted by some last ditch defending or some smart goalkeeping from Webber.

We looked out of sorts and in danger of collapsing, especially when Hawbush raced through again and a squared ball, which looked destined to hit an unguarded net was turned onto his own post by Dan Davis, which quite possibly saved the game for us. A goal at that point and Hawbush would have had the wind in their sails and we would have had a hard job stopping them.

But games are made of these small margins, it was still 0-0 and we started to grow into the game. Then with possibly our first real chance, Experienced striker Watts, chased down a defender and robbed him of the ball out wide, he fired in a low cross and ahead of the chasing pack was Oli Smith to tuck it in, two goals in two games and 1-0 to the ‘hull. Half-time

Second half was a totally different story, a totally different ‘hull. We got our foot on the ball, popped it around and didn’t give much away. In truth, we missed several great chances, either the keeper was in the way or the bobble of the pitch defeated us, but chances for Watts, Mander, Burke and Smith could have finished the tie. Eventually a handball provided us with a penalty, which the ever reliable Burke tucked away.

With ten minutes left Hawbush pulled one back, a smart header from a good free kick, which made for a nervy last few minutes, but we held firm to record our first win of the season.

Hawbush have a decent side, with loads of potential and with a fairly level standard in Div 3 this year I expect to see them in the promotion mix.

Comments are closed.