Living Hope 4 Pye Green 4

Living Hope Church V Pye Green Towers

Jason Marshall writes

After a tricky tie in the Cup last week and an even trickier draw for the next round LHC arrived to lock horns with our pre season tipped joint favourites for the league Pye Green. The game started brightly for us as we attacked from the off and the scores were only kept level thanks to their keeper and some last ditch defending. Pye Green were woken up on the 15th minute when Martin aka ‘Tino’ which had started ringing around the pitch was found by Chrissy T with a ball over the top that he took in his stride took on two defenders and beat the keeper at his near post. PGT’s resurgence didn’t take long as on twenty minutes their number 15 picked the ball up on the edge of the box and unleashed what can only be described as a Gerrard-esque finish which curled into the bottom corner at the very last second leaving keeper Carl routed to the spot as he thought it was staying outside of the post. The game was then played out in the middle of the park for a good while and was a good physical game with a fair share of firm tackles being put in. This rhythm was then broken with a splendid piece of play between ‘Tino’ Pete and then Brainy who finished at the 2nd time of asking. This seemed to spur us on as we then five minutes later increased our lead with ‘Tino’ once again involved this time feeding Pete who gave the keeper no chance with a well taken finish. Half time 3-1.
The second half started with the newly returned Brainy making way for Craig which immediately paid off as he climbed to win a header which he flicked onto Jack who played in Gregg to finish emphatically. At this point in the game I think we fell victim to ourselves as we seemed to drop off the pace a little and suddenly found our 3 goal advantage become two after their number 5 scored a well taken free kick. Keeper Carl wasn’t happy as the free kick was taken whilst he was still arranging his wall but even the best fall victim to the quick free kick as proven by Thierry Henry in 2004. This change in deficit gave PGT hope and they made a couple of attacking changes which paid off as they scored their third from a left wing cross which their striker did well to convert and finally with around 6 minutes remaining found the equaliser after a scramble in the box where one of their players managed to get that vital touch. As the game drew to a close LHC went all out to find a winning goal and it looked to have been found with a minute remaining when right back Andy curled a shot that looked destined for the top corner only to be thwarted by a one handed save from their outstanding keeper who had kept them in the game on a number of occasions. Full time 4-4 a good game for the neutral with plenty of goals but unfortunately 2 points dropped in the title race for us but onwards and upwards to our next match and hopefully getting back to winning ways.

Comments are closed.