Maple Leaf Rovers QMC 5 v Pye Green Towers 2

Having started the season with a thrilling victory over Division 3 favorites Living Hope, Maple Leaf Rovers arrived for our first home game of the season full of confidence and excitement. At the council’s request we were asked to move this game to West Smethwick Park only for no one to be there to open the changing rooms for us. This set back was thankfully overcome by the Ref and Pye Green and the game got underway. MLR starting like we had finished the previous game with wave after wave of attacking football. Last season’s top scorer Knowles and newcomer Gordon both missing great opportunities to open the scoring for the Leaf. A cross from left back Mckeown proving just out of reach of the flying Knowles. Seconds later a lovely pull back from Green perfectly into the path of Gordon who somehow managed to lift his shot high and wide. MLR continued to create chance after chance and Mckeown nearly opened the scoring with a curling shot from the edge of the area just clearing the bar.
Just as we thought it was all going our way the Pye’s had a corner and as MLR tried to clear a clash between Cridge and the PG striker resulted in a penalty being awarded and converted. 0-1 totally against the run of play.
MLR pressed hard to get an equaliser but still trailed at the half time whistle.
Senior & Assistant Manager Tordoff must have lifted the troops at half time and almost straight from the kick off the ball was worked through to Price who weaved between two defenders before lifting the ball over the PG keeper. 1-1. Surely MLR would go on from here and take the points. Well that was until the next PG attack when a failure to clear the ball lead to a free kick for PG on the edge of the box. A drilled effort taking a large deflection to restore Pye’s lead. 1-2.
Still MLR pressed hard pushing forward and creating chances Price and Knowles both having shots well saved by PG’s keeper. Then a through ball from Tully unlocked the Towers defense with Knowles about to unleash his shot he was fouled and Maple had a penalty of their own. Tully stepped up and the penalty was saved but the rebound fell straight to Green who cushioned his shot into the empty net. 2-2.
Maple were now fired up and the introduction of Pugh and Loescher added a freshness to the team. Loescher’s ball sending Pugh through on goal his shot was deflected in by Price and MLR finally had the lead. Glover joined the action shortly after replacing the hard working Bench and his first run and pass allowed Price to break free and slot home his third, and second hat-trick in his first two games for the club. Still not finished Price lifted one over the bar from a Pugh cross come shot before Pugh himself drilled in Maple’s fifth from a Loescher pull back.
A hard fought win for Maple Leaf against a tough battling Pye Green who will take many points this season with their determination. Thanks for a good match lads!!!!

Comments are closed.