Match Reports, Tom Jones – 6th October

Tom Jones Remembered, One Minutes Silence at todays matches.

Picture supplied from the Christ Church Coseley vs St Mary’s game. (Please click to enlarge).

Rowley College 2 Selly Oak Methodist 2

Thanks to Pete Bennett from Rowley College for this match report.

Another frustrating morning for us in the pouring rain against a competitive Selly Oak side. We were missing Mark and Connor and lost Chris in the kick in but once again we had a good complement of players, attacking intent and a baffling inclination to shoot ourselves in our own foot!

We played up the slope first half on a good surface (Holly Lodge has proper drainage) with, for the first time this season, a back four, ably led by Williams, who were excellent today. In front of them was our man of the match, Clive Haslam who was all action for the whole game. This allowed our younger and more creative players (Brad, Jack and Fin) to have licence to get up and support Josh: this they tried to do but were well countered by the Selly Oak lads. This made for a half of no real chances but with the slope to look forward to and our top scorer on the bench I felt confident we could prosper.

We were much better down the hill and started to make chances. Jack as ever was a box of tricks and Shola and Josh added quality, though we didn’t always make the right decisions and Selly Oak were still a threat from set pieces. Then we got the goal which I thought would win the game, a smart volley from Ben Smith. We were now running the game and looking for a second but two incredibly bad goals later (both rare mistakes from our excellent keeper) and we found ourselves 1-2 with five to play.

Our attitude in the face of adversity was excellent. Haydon, who had come on second half, drove us forward throughout this period of the game and Matt and Clive also kept us believing. Cue free kick and the last two kicks of the game as most of the 22 players congregated in their area. Josh delivered and Shola flicked in a deserved equaliser.

All the best to Rob and his lads, worthy opponents and to Andy, James and Mo who were also excellent in difficult conditions.


Living Hope Church United 2-1 Saint Michael

Thanks to Callum Oakshott from Living Hope for this match report:

This morning, LHC United welcomed Division One’s Saint Michael to St. Michael’s High. As expected, the game got off to a frantic start, which did not let up for the full ninety.

LHC broke the deadlock early on, as Shane Parker brilliantly found the net from an acute angle. The first-half continued as an end-to-end battle, with neither team creating clear chances.

The visitors pulled level just after the break, as a through ball was picked up and slotted past LHC keeper James Farley. Saint Michael saw much more of the ball following their goal, but the home defence stood tall and strong, with Farley pulling off some great saves.

With the visitors pushing forward, LHC broke on the counter – new boy Dean Cutler letting fly from long distance. The ball soared, dipped, flicked off the underside of the crossbar, bounced off the line and settled in the roof of the net. Not a bad way to open your account…

The remainder of the game saw Saint Michael looking to draw back level; however, LHC continued to dig in and saw the game out to set up a Round Two clash with Division One side City Church next month.

Game in three words: Grit and determination.

Comments are closed.