Match Reports received during the week

Delph Athletic 5 – 3 St Thomas Aldridge

Thanks to Joshua Briley from Delph for this report.

The Delphs started their 2nd home game of the season looking to try to move off the bottom of the table. A St Thomas Aldridge side who had lost 2 & drawn 2 stood in the way.

The game started off at a good pace, with the Delphs having the better of the chances in the opening few minutes. A good move forward resulted in a free kick which Steve Devonport hit against the wall, Grant Esp hit the bouncing ball on the half volley from the edge of the penalty area which forced a good save from the St Thomas Goalkeeper.

On 14 Minutes St Thomas forced one of their first attacks of the game, some scrappy defending meant they got into the penalty box & a Luke Thompson tackle resulted in a penalty to St Thomas which their number 7 slotted home, 0-1.

In truth the first half was probably our worst half of football this season. For the first 30 minutes we struggled to get our midfield into the game & found ourselves 0-2 down when their number 7 finished nicely from the edge of the box.

We then changed formation in our midfield slightly to try to get back in the game & for the remaining 15 minutes of the first half we slowly started to get back into the game.

At Half time we discussed the fact that we hadn’t been doing anything we normally do, we didn’t get the ball down & play our football in the first half at all, we knew that had to change in the 2nd half as St Thomas are a big strong team & us playing the ball in the air was just playing into their hands.

In the 2nd half our new formation worked much better. We controlled the pace of the game with some really nice football in the centre of midfield from Grant Esp & Steve Devonport.

We then won a free-kick halfway into our own half on 50 Minutes. Steve Devonport took it & knocked it up into the penalty area, Ed Sutton challenged for the ball but it ended up bouncing through both our attack & St Thomas’ defence & finding itself in the top corner – Possibly a WMCFL record for a long range goal? 1-2.

For the next 25 minutes we controlled the game completely. Our back 4 We were now talking way more than in the first half, lots of talking from Matt Kindred in goal & some great organisation at the back from Jack Follis & Joel Gooding at CB meant we didn’t let anything silly past after getting the goal back. Luke Thompson was constantly creating chances from the Left hand side with Dave ‘Mo Farah’ Harrison constantly providing support from Left Back.

On 75 Minutes we then won a corner which Ste swung in, Nathaniel Harding who had been winning headers all over the pitch all game rose a good 2 foot above everyone else in the box & a bullet header later & it’s 2-2.

A few minutes later Matt Kindred took a GK which Nathaniel Harding took down & played a lobbed through ball for Ed Sutton to run onto. Ed managed to wriggle round a defender & calmly slot the ball past the GK to make it 3-2.

From here on we knew it would be a test of our resilience. We had led for a good duration of the game against living hope but unfortunately couldn’t see the game out so the whole team were aware of how important it is to see this game out to get a win.

St Thomas then broke with a nice through ball for their striker to run through & take it round Matt Kindred in goal to make it 3-3, 82 minutes in.

At this point, we could have crumbled, however the attitude of everyone on the pitch was fantastic, the response was immediate with a GK taken from Matt Kindred which Nathaniel Harding won the first, 2nd & third ball and ended up lobbing the GK to make it 4-3.

From this point on we played with a real intensity, we had great energy down the Right hand side of the pitch with Jack Slater & Mark Harrison, they didn’t stop running all game & were constantly giving us options out wide.

On 90 Minutes we then won a free kick midway into the St Thomas Half. Ste Devonport stood up to take it & drove it straight into the St Thomas Keeper, who parried the ball back into the box. Nathaniel Harding reacted the quickest to it & slotted the rebound in to make it 5-3.

A great game with a very strong & physical St Thomas side – we look forward to playing them again.

Great to get our first points of the season & climb off the bottom of the table. A strong 2nd half performance which has been coming all season for us, we’ll now look to build on this game & continue to get more experience playing alongside each other.


Saint Michael 1 – 4 Monyhull Church

Thanks to Robert Zaleski from Saint Michael for this report.

Today game was our home game on away pitch as our pitch is still not ready due to summer weather and all grass were gone. Pitch we playing now is smaller then other similar to the Connect Sports pitch so not much space to hold ball and run.

Rematch started excellent for Monyhull Church and you could see they came to win this game as they fight first 20 min for everything. 1st, 2nd, 3rd ball you name it it was next to them. They took us by surprise and I think we did not wake up till like 30 min in to the game but it was to late as Monyhull Church have had 3 goal in that time after sloppy defence and stupidity of goalkeeper. Once we wake up and Monyhull sit down tight on back due to spending lots of energy in first 30 minutes there was chance after chance where we could score but we failed to do so. First our goal came after corner kick that been played hard in to 5 yards area and ping balling everyone around and on the end went in to goal as  own goal. 3:1 first half and lots of talk in break few subs that could change game but they did not and again sloppy defence when ball was going out defender stopped it and lost it instead let it out and rebuild. Lost game that could be won if we have had half of the spirit fight that Monyhull brought on pitch today. Well done to them and again big lesson to us for not thinking and concentrating before the game.

Comments are closed.