Saturday Review – Bang, Bang, He Shot Me Down

A delayed report on the weekend activity due to a major need to catch up on some much required sleep. Probably not a good idea that with Saturday last weekend being the day in between my night shifts I decided to only have a couple of hours kip before waking up to get the results on the site. To then decide to stay awake to watch an awful Villa performance made matters worse and to compound it all, the smiling assassin, (bang, bang, he shot me down), Andy, from Charlemont Star, (see pic), turns me over by 1 point in the prediction challenge.

Andy Well done Andy…grrrrrr!!!!!

So all in all, a pretty rubbishy weekend for myself. Looking at the results I thought that the Monyhull lads were having a bad weekend as well but having read the match report it may sound silly but it appears to have been a creditable 7-0 defeat. I actually got the score correct for this game but Monyhull were definitely better than I thought they would be, (have to bear that in mind for the future forecasts). Anyway, I will let John from St Mary’s fill you in on the details;

St Mary’s 7-0 Monyhull Church

A great result in the end, but Monyhull were on top for at least 15 minutes, playing some good football and creating the best chances, and it wasn’t until Wiedeman beat his man down the left and squared for Sheward to smash into the roof of the net that we took any semblance of control. Unfortunately the game was then effectively ended as a contest as on around 20mins (I am sure John will know the exact timing!) the Monyhull goalkeeper sliced a goal kick and an expletive slipped out, it was flagged by the assistant referee and the inevitable 11 v 10 followed. Despite then gaining more possession we only added one more goal through a good Wiedeman finish prior to half time, although I doubt a late coming neutral would have spotted it was not 11 v 11.

Second half we were down hill and following a good ‘discussion’ regarding the work rate in the first half we were much better although we could not finish the 10 men off who continued to threaten. Eventually we did close the game off as Jones sent in a cross which deceived the stand in goalkeeper and dropped into the far corner for 3 v 0.

We then made 3 substitutions in quick succession and all made a difference. Wood kept the ball moving and allowed Harris to move forward and place an accurate shot into the corner for 4 v 0. A quick kick from keeper Lutwyche then allowed substitute Rudd to nod past the onrushing keeper for 5 v 0 and the returning Coleman the notched two late gaols in trademark style.

In the end a great result and thanks to James and his fellow officials who were all on great form. *******************************

A text from John at Monyhull probably sums it up…..”Even with 10 men the scoreline flattered (guess that’s why they are double winners”

Very true words in my opinion..Champions just keep getting the results……here is a picture of them:


So, the Champions of last season have 2 wins out of 2 but top quality players always say you celebrate for a little while then put it all to bed and start over again. Will St Mary’s be able to do just that? Well they will definitely have to be on top form all season I reckon because Clarendon and Connect Sports are flying again with 3 wins out of 3.

Everton Morrison always seemed to be their main goal scorer and although he scored 2 again on Saturday there seems to be a new kid on the block. He has started the season faster than Usain Bolt out of the blocks….watch out for Junior Stewart who bagged a hat trick on Saturday against Chawn Hill Church and has now scored 7 in his 3 League appearances. Clarendon have smashed in 17 goals in 3 games so far and look like a team on a mission. Chawn have now lost their first 2 games and having let in 13 goals in the process definitely need to get their defensive side of the game sorted out…quickly!

Whilst St Mary’s and Clarendon were probably getting their expected wins Connect Sports get the result of the day for me. A 4-1 win away to Wednesbury Baptist is really impressive. Wednesbury Baptist have settled well in the top Division having scored 9 goals themselves in their first 2 games so this was possibly a wake up call when you come up against one of the better teams in the top flight. No Richard Ricketts on the score sheet for Connect who had 4 separate scorers on the day, Tremayne Wilson, Daniel Richards, James Breakwell and Martin Lees all popping up with a goal apiece.

Unusually, we have no report from Pete at Rowley this week. First time Pete has missed being at 2 consecutive games in 25 years, (no commitment eh Pete 😉 )  but we do have a report off City Church;

City Church 2-1 Rowley College

Following a weekend away from football, City Church were looking to build on the positives from the opening day narrow defeat to Zion Athletic and hoping to get their first points of the new season. Rowley College on the other hand have opened the season well, coming to this game off the back of two strong results, having beaten Monyhull on the opening day and just missing out against Connect Sports (who now have three wins from three!). The game was played at Rowheath, where the sun was out and the pitch was in great condition.

Rowley started the match off on the front foot, putting City under some early pressure, and were unlucky not to capitalise on some of the initial defensive disorganisation from City. Rowley would have taken the lead in the first half too were it not for a fine reflex save from stand in goalkeeper, Steve Richardson, and the linesman ruling out a goal for offside. Clear cut chances were few and far between in the first half, with City coming in to the game a bit more. After a few wayward efforts from both sides, the game went in to half time as a stalemate.

City made a couple or organisational changes for the second half, with Obi taking over goalkeeping duties, allowing Steve to use his energy and determination on the left hand side to give greater width to the play.

The breakthrough came shortly after the break when Campbell Thomas, the City centre back, went unmarked at a corner to head in the opener with what was his first goal for the club. Like waiting for a bus, you wait all first half for a goal and then two arrive in quick succession. City doubled their lead from another corner a couple minutes later, this time Nick Graham making the most of the ball bouncing around the box with an overhead kick which squirmed its way past the goalkeeper. 2-0 to City and it seemed a long way back for the away team who had done little wrong up to this point in the game.

Rowley stepped up a gear though, and put City under some real pressure. For the next 20 minutes of the second half, it seemed that City could not control possession and were it not for some good goalkeeping from Obi, collecting corners and sweeping up any wayward through balls, the momentum may have been enough for Rowley. They managed to get a goal back eventually, a cool finish from the Rowley player after breaking through the defensive line, making the last 15 minutes very nervey.

As Rowley pushed further up, hoping to grab a dramatic equaliser, this allowed City greater time going forward to hold the ball and keep possession. A strong defensive midfield display from Dan Green, making his first league start for City, and a late sending off for Rowley took any remaining wind out of their sails, allowing City to see out the rest of the game to get their first 3 points of the season.

A great effort from the City players, and an important first win. Well done to Rowley who played very well, unfortunate not to make the most of their chances, and a couple of mistakes from set pieces meant they lost on the day but they have much to be proud of and will prove a difficult fixture no doubt for all teams this season! *************************************************

So City get their first win of the season, always a good feeling the sooner you get it. Strange how football is confidence based as each week has absolutely no bearing on another week. (One of the many things I waste time pondering on)!

Wolverhampton and Perton also got their first win of the season away at Charlemont Star witha 2-0 win courtesy of 2 goals from Andrew Oakes. Over to the smiling Andy from Charlemont for this report;

Our inconsistent and frustrating form continues. Last season we couldn’t register back-to-back victories and going into today’s game was our first opportunity to end this run.

We lost our captain and influential midfielder Gary Lunt through injury after 14 minutes, being replaced by Jack Evans. Both teams created opportunities but 0-0 at half time was a fair result based on poor finishing and good goalkeeping.

HT: 0-0

W’ton & Perton took the lead on 50 minutes after Bradey Birch in midfield was caught in possession resulting in their striker running through on goal beating our keeper at his near post, 0-1. On 61 minutes our substitute Jack Evans had to be replaced again through injury after suffering an injury to his knee. The next goal was going to be crucial and unfortunately for us it went to W’ton & Perton on 70 minutes, a good team goal and finished clinically, 0-2.

Thanks to referee Andy Rowe and his two assistants who kept the game flowing. *****************************************

The final game in Division 1 saw Zion Athletic come away with all 3 points against Renewal Solihull. (A trip away always seems better on the way back if you have won). Zion have now scored 7 goals in their 3 games but like last season seem to be aiming for a perfect balance as they have also let in 7. For Renewal, a look at their goals against column makes grim reading and like both Chawn and Monyhull desperately need to tighten up at the back.


Time for a break, more to follow:




Comments are closed.