Update 14th September

Only 2 Match Reports so far to glean stuff off with the first of these coming from Saint Michael, a team who were looking to build on their emphatic first week win. What’s the saying about a week being a long time in football! (edit: 2 more received while typing)

Corinthians S.K. 3-1 Saint Michael (Saint Michael report – edited)

After a HUGE last week win we were too confident and too sure that we can win without working hard. So Corinthians buried us.

We created chance after chance but we couldn’t convert them into goals. I wrote it before that to win game you have to SCORE!

Game started on time and with really bad weather condition. That gives ball extra speed after bounce and that create a lot of problems between our 4 defenders. SK played first 20 min really good football and we had some good luck not to lose a goal before they did score. Some great deliveries that were hard to clear with their wingers working hard and their midfielders were doing a lot better then ours. Few nice flicks and danger was already in our 16 yards box! Great shoot from right wing that hit post and few more unclear shoots give them boost to keep pressure on us. Their first goal was an excellent shot from Philip Bostock from around 20 yards after our defence line could not clear the ball. When it came out of box Philip was in right place with a lovely shot that leaves our goalkeeper without chance to save it! Goal of the game!

Our first 25 min was good but not enough today. Tomasz Loch had a few long distance shots. Kamil Lason and Janusz Cyran had few good runs but without clear chance. Also long throws in to box give Robert Zaleski to work his high out on his best. But still without ball in net. Our only goal came when Damian Klosowski cleared the ball out of our defence and with that long pass he set Kamil Lason in front of goalkeeper. He took ball to left with one touch and shot it into empty goal as he left their goalkeeper few yards behind! Next 15min we push hard to look for 3 points. Robert Zaleski missed 3 chances to score from close range. Adam Kryspin and Patryk Jasicki were running up and down trying to set up others. We simple took over control on pitch and we thought we got this game in right direction but SK opened up our defence with one long pass. The long pass today was our worst nightmare and they use it well. Another long ball in just few minutes before end of first half left us lossing 2-1 on half time as Luke Ellor finished it off!!

Half time and we chat about our strategy and refresh our minds.

This 45 min was a lot better but we were unable to score today. There was so many chances that its hard to count them all and write about every single one. Few good corner kick and shots on goal that were saved by goalkeeper or hit post or bar. Kamil Lason had a few kicks which gave their goalkeeper lots to worry about but he manage to put hand in and ball went above bar. Janusz has some good run in between but thier defence was where they should be and block most of shoots. Subs came on to try and put even more pressure on SK.

Another SK long ball pass crash our defence again and out of nowhere BANG 3-1 to them. Back to being 2 goals behind..

We were really trying and trying so much today but we were simply unable to crash their defence or goalkeeper. Their center back was great, cutting the ball out.

Well done SK!

So Corinthians reversed their result from the previous week with what sounds like a cracker from Philip Bostock but also adding to the teams tally were Luke Ellor and Stephen Smith.

I’m not sure how much effect the rain had with the pitches making it difficult for defenders and possibly more beneficial to strikers. One match saw a feast of goals with 10 chances hitting the back of the net. Daniel Luxton bagged a hat trick for Brierley Hill A.O.G but it was still not enough to prevent a 6-4 away defeat to Zion City.

Another player who notched 3 goals was Luke Helsdon for St Thomas’ Aldridge, but in this case his team ran out 4-2 winners away to Hawbush. Mark Sheriff also notched for the Aldridge lads with the Hawbush goals coming from Lee Perks and Mitchell Poutney.

A 3-0 home win for Maple Leaf Rovers Q.M.C over Dudley Lions saw them gain their first points of the season with Kiran Kellman scoring 2.

Sandwell United pick up their 1st point courtesy of a 3-3 draw with Living Hope Church United.

So after 2 weeks we have Zion City setting the pace with 2 wins out of 2. They are away next week against Living Hope Church United, win that 1 and they may be looking like the team to catch. But for me, they are so unpredictable and that is a tough game in my eyes.

Division One review starts with the only report received so far. Someone who rarely, if ever, fails to send in a report, win, lose or draw. (It would be nice for Pete to have something other than his own reports to read).

Rowley College 1-2 Connect Sports

Good game today. I said to both Mark and Matt before the game that this was a test of whether we were serious about being competitive. Connect blew us away early last season because we lacked discipline, (rather than quality), and played too open. Today we were thoroughly solid and always in the game. Connect will be happy to have shaded it: a valuable three points.

One thing that never seems to change in amateur football is the constant selection issues caused by player availability. We had Olly, Clive, Craig and Christy missing, (as well as Ben not yet returned from the states), and Tom had to leave at half time which meant calling Rob Hill and Nic Hadley onto the bench and Nuni Yakubu in for his debut. Sammy ploughed a lone furrow up front until he succumbed to injury. This left us with four full backs playing and ten largely defensive players. By then it was 2-1 so this was not ideal.

It had been so different going into the second half. We had played well against their dangerous forwards (though they did miss a couple of good chances) and shown some promise with the ball going forward. One left wing cross had been powerfully met by Ben Smith to give us the lead. Then in the dying moments of the first half Lee pulled off a brilliant left handed save to preserve our lead.

Our personnel was ideal at least for setting off in the second half and things looked steady early doors. Then Connect got lucky as a shot from the edge of the box deflected wickedly past our keeper. They began to step it up and Lee was injured as he saved bravely at the feet of their striker. The game got tense and competitive and it felt like there would be another goal. When it came it was a cracker and not even really a chance. Richard Ricketts, edge of the box, plenty of cover and he turned sharply and found the gap. A goal to win such a tight game.
All the best to Willis and Vernon, good lads both!

I always love Pete’s reports, always totally honest and unbiased. So Connect start with 2 good wins and a bonus for me was that in the Prediction Challenge I got the score correct. Another bonus was that it was 2 correct score predictions for the weekend with Wednesbury beating Monyhull Church 5-0 away from home. Fidelle Glanville hit a hat trick and goals for Craig Abbey and Peter Falconer saw them comfortable winners. So they sit atop of Div 1 having scored 9 and have yet to concede a goal. I’m sure they will find it harder going as the season progresses. For Monyhull, well, it’s a step up in the top division and it doesn’t get much better for them next week! All conquering St Mary’s, the current juggernaut of our league are next in line!!

(Report From Wednesbury Baptist edited in as it was sent in whilst I was typing away):

Monyhull Church 0-5 Wednesbury Baptist

After last weeks confidence boosting win at home to Wolves and Perton, we traveled to Rowheath Pavillion to face off against the team that challenged us all the way last season in the fight for the Division 2 Title.

We were greeted by the fantastic news that there were now new changing facilities (last season when we last visited we had only a gazebo and beanbags). As we made it out onto the pitch it was obvious that our usual quick possession football across the floor was not going to be as easy to play with the pitch largely overgrown and causing the ball to hold up.

Having just read Rowley College’s report regarding the personnel available to them we had the exact opposite (with only 3 defenders to call upon) which meant starting with an unorthodox 3-4-3 formation. This was notable as it took us a while to get settled and start playing our football. With just over 20 minutes gone we started to command the game and we got our rewards for our constant pressure we were putting on the Monyhull goal when Fidell was sent clear through down the left, who left the keeper rooted to the spot with an excellent low drive into the bottom right corner. At this point we saw a different side to the Monyhull of last season who regrouped and began to play some decent football of their own. This made for a very entertaining game and with half hour gone we got our second when Fidell once again sent free down the left found Craig with a switched ball who made no mistake from just inside the 18 yard box doing well to keep his shot down, 2-0.
The rest of the half fizzled out with both teams playing majority of the game in the middle of the park. HT 2-0.

We started the second half where we had left off from the first and caught the Monyhull defence napping when Jack provided a perfectly weighted lofted pass to Pete who controlled it instantly, watching it over his shoulder, before chipping their keeper and the ball going in off the underside of the crossbar.The game continued and we caught Monyhull with a sharp counter attack when their defence were playing a high line which Martin saw and played a defence splitting pass which sent both Fidell and Pete chasing the ball with only the keeper to beat, Pete left the ball to the better placed Fidell who dinked the ball past the on rushing keeper before finishing into the empty net. 4-0.With substitutions made by both sides and tired legs starting to feel the pace of the game it looked as though Neil was going to be let down on another correct score (this time predicting one too many goals rather than last weeks prediction of one less). Neil would be happy though when with around 5 minutes to go it was Fidell who completed his hat trick with his best of the game dropping a shoulder to beat his marker outside of the box and placed his shot into the corner which left the outstretched keeper no chance.
Full Time 5-0 and another important 3 points in our bid for survival in our first season in Division 1 and a very happy League Secretary has he gets a correct score prediction for his challenge, Sorry Ian!! (edit: big smile from me lads, Neil)

Level with them on 6 points are the aforementioned Connect Sports in Pete’s report and Clarendon who themselves bagged 5 goals on their 5-2 away win over Zion Athletic. 2 goals apiece for Junior Stewart and Micheal Miller with the other coming from Stevon Richards sees Clarendons scoring prowess start right from the beginning of the season. They did let in 2 goals though, scored by an 1 ex Clarendon player Jadon Silva and Craig Abbey. I had a brief chat with Jadon at Kev’s game and he really is a top bloke. (Battles of the old Chawn vs Amblecote days long forgotten…very competitive games in the day)!

Charlemont Star 5-1 Renewal Solihull was definitely a result I never saw coming. Maybe a home win, yes, but 5-1 surprised me. Stuart Smith and Rory Taylor each scored 1 for Charlemont but Jamie Holder also hit the old onion bag 3 times. No idea if any of the hat tricks scored on Saturday were what’s called the perfect hat trick like Steven Naismith’s against Chelsea, left foot, right foot and a header but when you have a goal scorer who knows where the net is it always helps. Mark Hadden has notched many times over the years and popped 1 in for Renewal on the day.

Another report as I was typing away:

Charlemont Star 5-1 Renewal Solihull

Today we hosted Renewal Solihull hoping to put behind us the heavy defeat from our first game last weekend. The first half was a pretty scrappy affair with neither team able to take a grip of the game. Renewal broke the deadlock on 42 minutes with a header which looped over our stranded keeper Allan Wilde to make it 1-0.

HT: 0-1

We started the second half on the front foot and scored within a minute of the kick off with Jamie Holder scoring from a pass from our stand in Captain Gary Lunt, 1-1, that goal definitely helped our confidence from then on. Our first substitution was Lewis Cox who was lacking match fitness being replaced by Rory Taylor on 60 minutes. On 66 minutes Jamie Holder scored his second assisted by Brad Tiernan, 2-1. The second substitution on 69 minutes saw Stuart Smith replace James Rogers, 3 minutes later Stuart assisted by Rory Taylor scored from an acute angle between keeper and post to give us a two goal lead, 3-1.

We continued to push forward at this point and Jamie Holder scored again on 79 minutes completing his hattrick, 4-1. To cap a decent second half performance from us saw our “veteran player” Rory Taylor scoring his first of the season in the last minute calmly picking his spot to make it 5-1.

Thanks to Daren Appleby and his two assistants who kept the game going where possible and to both teams who played their parts. Good luck to Renewal for the rest of the season.





Comments are closed.